Everyone desires their teeth to be a little brighter. You wouldn't mind having a bright smile like most of those TV personalities and celebrities. The fact that your smile is one of the first things that people notice about you makes it something you can't afford to turn a blind eye on. We all care about what the next person will think of us, and that's why tooth whitening is increasingly becoming popular between both the young and the aged.
Several reasons may cause your teeth to end up discolored. Those years of drinking coffee, red wine, and tea will get back at you by creating some undesired stains. Even growing older has its implications. Once your teeth become discolored, it becomes challenging to regain those white pearls you always desired. However, if you decide it finally time to get your teeth whiter, you might want to consider a teeth whitening kit.
The kits are more like trays filled with whitening gel that you squeeze to your teeth and leave them to settle for a while. They are almost similar to mouth guards. Usually, the kits are divided into two categories; the home whitening kits and those that dentists use in clinics. For the home ones, they use a minimal whitening agent. Most people are always concerned if a teeth whitening kit works and the answer to that is it depends on how bad your situation is. For the typical discoloration, the kits will be adequate to get the teeth as whiter as possible. However, other scenarios would be better for you to consult a dentist.
If you have finally made the decision that you will be purchasing a teeth whitening kit, then the following are some of the things you should keep in mind. The kits come in three types;
- Kits with pre-filled trays
- Kits with mouldable trays
- Kits with one of the trays and an LED light
Kits with prefilled trays
Kits are different and in as much as you might not know it, they work differently. That's why, before making any decision, it's always good to contact the dentist for more insight. Take, for instance, the kits with prefilled trays come with a one-size-fits-all tray that is already filled with teeth whitening gel. Among other types of kits, this is relatively easy to use.
Kits with mouldable trays
This particular type of kit includes a plastic tray that needs to be heated up before molding on to the teeth. It also comes with syringes that contain a whitening gel that should be squeezed into the tray once it's been fitted to the teeth.
LED Lights Kits
These kits include either one of a pre-filled tray or the moldable tray both with syringes. The only difference is that they have an LED light attached to the kit to make the whitening process a little more useful.
It is worth noting that all home-whitening kits come with instructions on how to use them. Everything is detailed, so whether it’s your first time or not, you should be able to do the whole procedure effectively. Also, note that most of the kits you buy come with a shade guide that should let you track your teeth whitening progress.
How do the kits work?
Many people buy the home-whitening kits and home for brighter smiles as soon as possible. Whether its negligence or arrogance, only a few people care to find out how the kits work. Usually, the kits use hydrogen peroxide as the whitening agent that starts to work immediately it gains contact with your teeth. It has some properties that cause it to bleach your teeth along with any stains that may be available.
In most cases, trays provide better contact with your teeth, making them more effective than the strips. However, despite kits doing a good job, those with LED lights have been regarded to be more productive. The LED light boosts the hydrogen peroxide's effect making the teeth whiter more than any other kit.
The gel that most products contain has hydrogen peroxide as the primary whitening agent. However, other non-peroxide products use a sodium compound like sodium chloride or sodium bicarbonate. There are some with an activator as well for encouraging the whitening process.
How often should home teeth whitening kits be used?
Most of these kits take approximately 10-30 minutes to get the job done. Depending on the kit type you purchase, you should use it for 6-14 days daily. Please note that you don't get your teeth any whiter if you use your whitening kit for a prolonged period. If anything, it can cause issues like tooth sensitivity or damage your gums in a way that you might need the attention of a dentist.
The procedure for using the kits
Before anything, if you buy any kit, there is an instruction guide that comes along with it. Make sure you follow it to the latter. However, for the primary process it should be something like this;
The prefilled tray;
- Start by gently brushing your teeth
- Take out the trays from the package
- Take the top tray and insert it in your mouth (ensure it's lined up against the bottom of your teeth)
- Make sure the tray fits properly by gently pushing it upwards
- Do the same steps 3 and for the bottom tray
- Close your mouth and avoid biting hard on your trays. They might start to ooze
- Keep the trays in place for the specified amount of time in the product’s instructions then throw them away
- Conduct a thorough rinsing of your mouth to get rid of any excess gel that might be present.
Kits, like WhiteSmile, work like this:
- Brush your teeth with toothpaste and rinse your mouth.
- Open the WhiteSmile Gel Pen and twist the end to discharge the gel.
- Start applying the gel pen to your teeth, make sure to cover the front of your teeth.
- Turn the mouthpiece device on so the LED light shows blue. Insert it into your mouth making sure to gently bite down on the silicon mouthpiece.
- The blue light whitening mode will turn off automatically after 10 minutes. You can also press the button again to activate the red light anti-bacterial mode for a further 10 minutes.
- Take it out, rinse the mouthpiece and your mouth with water and compare your teeth with results guide paper again to see how many shades you have improved.
- That’s it! Don’t forget to smile!
- Do not smoke, eat, or drink anything except water for 30 minutes after you finished the treatment.
- To recharge the LED light, simply attach the cable via USB.
Kits are one of the most effective home teeth whitening products there is in the market. They ensure that there is sufficient contact between the whitening gel and the teeth. Unlike other products, as long as there is contact with the teeth, hydrogen peroxide begins to work bleaching the teeth as fast and effectively as possible. After you are done with the procedure that should take you several days, you will realize a significant improvement. However, it's worth noting that the final results vary from one person to the other and that it entirely depends on an individual's teeth. Usually, the depth of staining or discoloration and the causes play a significant role.
Things to keep in mind
If you have finally decided to whiten your teeth there are a few things you need to know;
- Find out the risks involved- usually, home teeth whitening kits are very safe but should be used judiciously. Overusing, some of these products can lead to tooth pain or sensitivity. Before, using any kit, always consult with a dentist to determine if it's the best fit for you.
- Beware of many products- These days the market is crowded with all sorts of whitening products. Make sure the product you use is safe and does not come with any side effects. Preferably go for kits with ADA & FDA seal of approval.
- Consult your dentist- before buying a home whitening kit, talk to your dentist to determine if the procedure will be useful for you. Sometimes, your teeth could need something else to get that whiter look.
Teeth whitening is increasingly becoming popular. As a result, there are many products in the market, and it can be a bit overwhelming finding the right one for you. However, if you are purchasing a teeth whitening kit, you may want to go for one designed with the highest quality. The last thing you can afford to do is gamble with the health of your teeth. Also, always remember to consult with your dentist whenever you want to go through any procedure.
“Just like described, it gives you results even after the first session. Use it often and it continues to improve your smile, whiter & whiter. Happy I have mine!” Karen S. WhiteSmile Customer.